The special education teacher of learners with ASD provides an optimal learning environment for learners who require the specialized teaching and supports designed for autism spectrum disorders in order to increase the academic, behavioral, communication and social skills of the learners on their caseload. Special education teachers in this position develop and implement district approved curriculum, document student progress through daily and weekly data collection in order to make data-based decisions about the effectiveness of teaching and behavioral strategies. Special education teachers in this position address students’ specific needs through multiple and diverse academic and behavioral supports or strategies and providing feedback to students, parents and administration regarding student progress, expectations, goals, etc.
- Position requires experience and/or additional certification or training in the direct instruction of students with autism spectrum disorders.
- Skill and ability to incorporate recommendations from ancillary support personnel for individual student needs in the classroom.
- Knowledge of child development, the impact of characteristics of ASD on development and learning with special emphasis on language, communication and cognitive development.
- Ability to develop and implement individualized instructional and behavior plans and behavioral management techniques.
- Ability to effectively facilitate support staff with the implementation of individualized student goals in the classroom
- Ability to work with other professionals in a collaborative manner.
- Formal training or certification in ABA is highly desired (BCBA supervision may be provided)
Statement of Specialized Experience
Specialized experience for this position includes experience working with learners with autism spectrum disorders in an educational environment; conducting formal and informal assessments using curriculum-based tools or progress monitoring measures; collecting data for academic, behavioral, communication and social skills and graphically displaying data; developing individualized reinforcement systems for a variety of learners and supporting learners in inclusive educational environments for the purpose of generalizing skills across settings.
Education: Bachelor’s degree in job related area. Masters preferred.
Certificates & Licenses: Valid Virginia Department of Education License or ability to obtain one
- Adapt general education curriculum or implements alternative reading/math programs for the purpose of providing students with instructional materials to meet their educational needs.
- Instruct students for the purpose of improving their success in academic, communication, interpersonal and daily living skills through a defined course of study.
- Collaborate with instructional staff, related service providers, other school personnel, families and a variety of community agencies for the purpose of improving the overall quality of student outcomes, achieving established classroom objectives and IEP goals.
- Assess student progress towards objectives, expectations, and/or goals (e.g. behavioral, social, motor development and communication skills, academic needs, vocational abilities, etc.) using consistent data collection for the purpose of providing feedback to students, families and administration.
- Implement instruction in communication and social skill development at the instructional level of the students for the purpose of enhancing peer relationships and collaborative participation in the general education classroom.
- Manage student behavior for the purpose of providing a safe and optimal learning environment using the principles of positive reinforcement and consistent implementation of behavioral techniques.
- Instruct students in a variety of educational environments (e.g. classroom, playground, field trips, etc.) for the purpose of enhancing skill development across a variety of settings.
- Supervise and instruct paraprofessionals in the instructional and data collection methods required and to provide the materials to complete the tasks assigned to paraprofessionals.
- Participate in a variety of meetings for the purpose of conveying and/or gathering information required to perform expected job duties.
- Prepare a variety of written materials (e.g. Individual Education Programs, progress reports, grades, attendance, etc.) for the purpose of documenting student progress and meeting mandated requirements.
- Support general education teachers for the purpose of assisting them in the planning and implementation of accommodations or modifications in order to meet mandates of individual education programs.
- Perform other related duties, as assigned, for the purpose of ensuring the efficient and effective functioning of the educational environment.
- May perform additional duties or tasks as designated by supervisor.
- Criminal Justice Fingerprint/Background Clearance.
- Tuberculosis Skin Test.
James Polk Elementary School
Teachers and Other Licensed Staff Salary Scale (http://www.acps.k12.va.us/hr/compensation/)