SOLON, OH — Over the next seven weeks, the Solon Schools will lose 38 percent of their state funding, which equates to $1.3 million. The budget cut comes as the new coronavirus constricts revenue for local and state governments.
“This is an immediate reduction that is taking place and needs to be paid to the state over the next few weeks,” said Tim Pickana, the district’s treasurer, during Monday’s virtual board of education meeting. “This is significant to us.”
Pickana submitted the district’s five-year forecast to the Ohio Department of Education this week. The forecast includes this sudden budget cut and plans for future budget reductions from the state.
“The state has historically not support Solon City Schools,” Pickana said during the meeting. “I believe it would be irresponsible to be optimistic and think the state will return us back to our near 5-percent funding level.”
“Our experience is that we don’t normally regain money that we’ve lost,” said Board of Education President Julie Glavin.
Last week, Gov. Mike DeWine announced nearly $1 billion in budget cuts for Ohio. Many of the cuts targeted Medicaid and public education spending. Here’s what the governor said needed to be cut in the next two months:
K12 Foundation Payment Reduction: $300 million
Other Education Budget Line Items: $55 million
Medicaid: $210 million
Higher Education: $110 million
All Other Agencies: $100 million
DeWine said he did not want to delay making budget cuts and potentially make future cuts more painful. He also declined to dip into the state’s $2.7 billion rainy day fund, saying the state may need those funds in coming years.
This article originally appeared on the Solon Patch